Thursday 20 September 2007

Mnemonic hooks and first lessons

Date: 18th Sep 2007

I decided to start with a tour of the 118 official words, quickly confirming that there are very few mnemonic hooks to make learning the vocab easier. Reassuringly, two words are identical to Ido: sama and suno. For others the suggested hooks such as icky and yucky are better than nothing. I have come up with some really unusual hooks already for some words that are totally a priori for me: to memorize kon = air I came up with a film I watched years ago on a ferry, Con Air. There are still many words for which I can think of no hooks, eg. tawa. Memorizing these new words is proving to be as hard as I thought..

Undeterred by the vocab, I then made a start on the lessons. I find these lessons very well written and they are really helping me to learn the vocab. For some reason it seems much easier to learn Toki Pona words in whole sentences than in isolation, I am also internalizing some whole phrases (where they seem like set phrases, eg. tan ni = because). My plan is to work through all the lessons at a moderate pace (I am already up to lesson 9), then to revisit them at a slower, more considered pace. It looks like the lessons are structured so that by the time I have finished them, I will have met most or all of the 118 words. Let's hope so..

2 comments:

LaPingvino said...

Regardez en la etimologio-listo di Tokipono. Ibe vu trovos exemple ke tawa = towards. Ito certe helpos a vu.

Rigardu en la etimologia listo de Tokipono. Tie vi trovos ekzemple ke tawa = towards. Tio certe helpos vin.

Look in the etymology-list of toki pona. There you will find for example that tawa = towards. It will certainly help.

o lukin lon kulupu tan nimi pi toki pona. sina ken lukin e nimi lon ni sama nimi tawa (= towards). ni li ken pona mute tawa sina.

idojc said...

Thanks lapingvino. I did find that hook after posting the entry, it is somewhat helpful. As it turns out, the frequency of tawa in TP means you quickly memorize this word.